CCJ provides a cost effective and results oriented community option for working with adult criminal offenders. Reducing criminal conduct has a widespread impact on the entire community. Fewer tax dollars are expended investigating and prosecuting offenders. Victimization is reduced.
- In 2017, 86% of CCJ’s probation clients successfully completed their probation
- In 2016, 94% of the clients that successfully completed their probation did not re-offend within the following year
- Nearly 1700 low-risk and first time offenders were supervised by CCJ last year
- 75% of all probation cases in Story County are handled by CCJ
In addition to the many measurable impacts in the community, CCJ also impacts taxpayers in a positive way. Most significantly, CCJ provides relief to the Iowa prison system. Below are a few comparisons:
- $30,000 is the cost per year of the Iowa prison system and is paid by taxpayers
- 8,800 men and women are currently incarcerated within the Iowa prison system
- 80% of those men and women are incarcerated for non-violent crimes
- Prison populations increased by 340% from 1980 to 2006
- A 10% reduction in state prison population in 2005 would have saved taxpayers $98.3 million
- A 50% reduction in state prison population would have saved taxpayers $3.3 billion
- $300-$575 is the cost per year of probation and is paid by each individual probationer
- Probation is approximately 1% the cost of incarceration
- Iowa’s prison population could increase by 24% over the next decade, a 2017 forecast released by the Iowa Department of Human Rights’ Division of Criminal and Juvenile Justice Planning shows.
Our programming has a positive ripple effect in the community that goes beyond the individuals we provide services to. Clients who receive treatment and stay sober, who learn to manage their anger appropriately, obtain and maintain employment, take responsibility for their actions, manage their finances and pay back victims impact the entire community. They become better partners, parents, coworkers and community members.